Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

In Loving Memory


Just a few weeks ago, on August 23, 2010, we lost a very special member of the Phelps family--my Aunt Char, after a long, tough battle with cancer. An incredibly loving family member and friend, Aunt Char always managed to bring a smile to your face. A charming person through and through, she brought a renewed kindness to the world, a kindness that made life just that much brighter. I know I can't even come close to describing every amazing aspect about this incredible woman, but I'm going to give it my best shot with my own little tribute.

No matter what happened, Aunt Char was always there. She was there for me, too, but I never truly realized just how much until I thought about it recently. As a kid, I was always going over to Uncle Pat and Aunt Char's; whether Dad had a business trip or I was just going for a simple weekend visit, I always remember being there. Aunt Char was always taking care of me, and she amazed me every time I saw her. I remember going to the basement with her and looking around at her plethora of craft supplies, asking about what everything was and admiring her current projects. I loved to help her make tasty treats in the kitchen, while other times I just watched as she cooked away...often times getting distracted by her gleaming copper pots. If I happened to be spending the night, she would take the time to get me tucked in to the cozy little bed upstairs and would read me a book. And of course, who could forget the traditional giant globs of play dough we made at nearly every visit--each time a different color.

Then there were Aunt Char's crafts...from pots to baskets and everything in between, she was always making something. She made all sorts of little gifts for everyone around her, each one of them personalized. I will never forget each year at the beach, when we would all wake up on Easter morning and find special hand-made gifts from Aunt Char. She even made a scrapbook to capture all of those wonderful beach memories. She always brought such a wonderful spirit to the house, and I can still see her sitting on the beach in one of her giant sun hats.

When I first learned of Aunt Char's passing, of course I cried; but I don't think the reality had hit. While sad, we all seemed to take some sort of consolation in knowing that her suffering was over. Then came the day of the funeral; from the moment the casket was brought into the church through the entire mass, I couldn't stop myself from crying. The tears just kept flowing as I realized she was gone, remembering what a wonderful person she was and the joy she brought to everyone that knew her. While I know that she's in a better place, it still just doesn't remove that pang of sadness.

Yesterday's burial at Arlington was the last "official" event tied with Aunt Char's passing. It was a lovely ceremony, and the priest even requested to give her the honorary title of "general," one that she rightfully deserves. But while each service has come to a close, the pain that we hold is still there. We will each have to continue to work through it in our own way every day; and everyday we'll get just a little bit stronger, and know that with everything we do, she will be looking down on us, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment