Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

All This Writing is Paying Off

In my last post I mentioned that there were a lot of things keeping me busy, including a secret project that I'm sure has had you all going wild with curiosity. Well fear not, my friends, because it's time for the big reveal...

I'M PUBLISHED!!!!

That's right, someone else besides me has published my writing. I got the chance to write as a guest blogger for a travel website called Smarter Travel, and they posted my article yesterday. It was only 800 words and I didn't get paid, but that doesn't matter to me. I finally have something published!

I actually discovered the opportunity to write for Smarter Travel back in October. It was seemingly perfect timing since I had just come back from my California trip and had plenty to write about, so I pitched my story and they were all for it. Unfortunately, this was also around the same time that I moved into my apartment, and my life was a tad bit stressful to say the least. I tried to write my piece as things slowed down, but life was still a bit overwhelming and my writing skills weren't exactly up to par. But thanks to writing regularly again (and thanks to life feeling somewhat more normal), I finally felt ready to give it another go. I was worried about the delay, but it turns out that waiting was totally worth it. Smarter Travel was still happy to take my piece, plus I less stressed and I knew that my writing skills had improved. And overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

If you'd like to read my post on Smarter Travel, check it out here: The Budget Traveler's Guide to Northern California. 

Also, in case you couldn't tell by the fact that I have a blog, writing is something that I really enjoy and that I would like to continue to pursue. I wouldn't be able to do any of it without the support of my family and friends, and this piece is no different. It may be something small, but for me it's a huge step forward. For this piece I want to thank three friends in particular - Maura and Nicole, for reading several of my drafts before I sent it in; and Carolyn, who not only read it but used her stellar PR and writing skills to help me edit and improve it. It may not seem like much to you guys, but to me it meant a lot. Thanks a million!


No comments:

Post a Comment