Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

(New) Easter Traditions

Let me start by saying Happy Easter, everyone! I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful day with family and friends. I know I did! And now I'd like to tell you all a little bit about it...

Easter: Part 1

Before we actually get to Easter, let's rewind a couple days. This year was the first time that I participated in the full Triduum and went to mass each day: Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil on Saturday. I also attended something called Tenebrae on Wednesday night, which I have to admit I had never even heard of before a friend invited me to go. As much as I would love to be able to explain what all of this is in simpler terms, I'm not the greatest at explaining Catholic rituals and traditions just yet. I've only recently started to learn about and understand some of them within the last couple years, so I'd like to try and widen my own knowledge a little more before I try to explain it to others. In the meantime, here's a link that you might find helpful in learning more about it all: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07435a.htm

Participating in each part of the Triduum was a really great experience for me. Not only was everything beautiful, but I realized that I've reached a new level of maturity and independence in my faith. My faith has evolved in more ways than I can even begin to explain, particularly within the last few years. But there was something about this decision - the decision to participate in the masses and other scores of traditions that come with the Triduum and Holy Week - that felt particularly special. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but whatever it is, it's pretty cool.

Easter: Part 2

Obviously the most important aspect of Easter is what it celebrates - Jesus' resurrection. But there's always another part of holidays that's pretty big and important as well - family time and fun.

When I was growing up, Easter was always part of the family beach trip over spring break. As that tradition has sort of ebbed out as we've all gotten older, Easter now involves a smaller and different crowd, my future step-family. We're all pretty much grown up as well, but that doesn't mean we can't still be little kids with Easter traditions.

My future step-mom has been having Easter egg hunts with her kids their whole lives, and the tradition lives on - despite the fact that her kids are in their 20s and in high school - and will continue to live on as long as possible. Last year, I was lucky enough to be a part of this little event for the first time and let me just say - I never knew Easter egg hunts could be so intense.

The eggs were scattered all over the yard and house, and me and my four future step-siblings plowed over each other as we raced to get as many as we could. This year was no different, minus the fact that my future step-sister couldn't make it :( Competition raged, particularly to find the Golden Egg (that was actually blue) that had a $20 bill in it. Game. On.

Let me just say that, growing up as an only child, it's a bit of an adjustment getting used to having siblings. When I was growing up, I didn't have an older brother knocking me out of the way to steal an Easter egg - and now I do (I also didn't have the same older brother trying to invade my section of cookie dough with his cookie cutter at Christmas time). I didn't have siblings to compete with for the most eggs, to compare candy swag, and to trade Easter egg silly bands with - and now I do. But while it's certainly a new adjustment and I have to embrace my competitive side a little more, I absolutely love it. We may not have grown up together, but when my future family and I get together we're just a bunch of big kids having a great time and enjoying holiday traditions - and lots of tasty food :)

No comments:

Post a Comment