Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Comedic Relief

It's 5:00 PM on a Friday afternoon. It's been a long, stressful week, and you're ready to punch a hole through your cubicle wall...with your head. You're more than ready for the long-awaited weekend, and what better way could you kick off said weekend than by going to happy hour?

By going to a comedy club of course! Laughter is the best medicine, right?

There are a lot of new things that I've been wanting to try out lately, and going to a comedy club was just one of them. This past Friday, I finally got to go to one...and I absolutely LOVED it!!

This recent comedy club adventure was initially sparked by a LivingSocial deal of all things. Unfortunately, upon searching the comedian that they were featuring, it turned out that he wasn't all that funny. But that didn't stop us. We still wanted to go to a comedy show, so I searched comedy clubs in DC. Google didn't fail me, and the first search result gave me the top club in the city...DC Improv. I talked to my roommates, we set up a roomie date night, then bought our tickets for a fun Friday night out.




I have to say, not only was I not disappointed by our trip to this legendary comedy club, but it exceeded all expectations. It sits in a cool and classy (and surprisingly not creepy) location that sits below street level, in classic comedy club fashion. The service is incredible, from ticket pick-up, to table seating, to food service. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis, and since I was one of the first ones there, I of course took them up on the offer to be seated right up front. The club itself has that cramped but cozy intimate setting with small tables all placed pretty close together. I excitedly and impatiently waited for my roommates to get there (the host brought them directly to my table) and for the fun night to begin.

And now the most important part, the comedians themselves. The main act we went to see was Christian Finnegan. He had us laughing throughout his entire set, and I'm so glad we decided to see him even though we didn't know much about him. But the best part was that he wasn't the only one that had us laughing that night, since we got to see two shorter acts before Christian even got on stage. Mike James, the host, is a local comedian who had the shortest, but still very funny set. He was followed by Carmen Lynch. I have to admit I'm usually not that impressed by most female comedians, but Carmen broke that streak. She was absolutely HILARIOUS, and I'm still debating if she was my favorite act of the night.

If you've ever thought about going to a comedy club I highly recommend checking out DC Improv. Not only did we have a great time, but it was affordable as well. Our tickets were $20 each, and the food and drinks weren't too pricey, either. It's a fun and unique night out, so definitely give it a shot! I know I'm going again!

No comments:

Post a Comment