Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Time for a Blog-Over

In case you haven't noticed, "The Coffee Break" has changed just a smidge. If you haven't noticed, you might want to head to the doctor and get yourself checked out. Eye doctor, brain scan, whatever...you could have some serious issues. But for those of you that have noticed, congratulations! You've earned a perfect bill of health from Dr. Heather.

And now, for a quick tour. First stop, the design. New colors, brighter, fun fonts...what do you think?? If you don't like it, well you can just be quiet. Go get your own blog, you can do whatever you want with it. There's no need to hurt my blog's feelings!

In all seriousness, though, I'm open to suggestions to make it prettier! The format will probably be continually changing for a bit. I plan to add some labels, probably some extra tabs, potentially a photo background, and maybe even flirt with the colors some more (What's that, turquoise? Dinner you say? I'd love to!).

Next stop, my blog's name. I spent all weekend trying to puzzle over some fun and quirky new name, but couldn't settle on anything I liked enough to commit long-term (I did not go to Jared). Still, "The Coffee Break" just seemed pretty bleh, so I figured I would at least have the title match my URL. The official name is now "Heather's Coffee Break." Apparently I just need to add my own name to give something a little more pizzazz. Man, I'm just so awesome! [time for the Litany of Humility, anyone?] Welcome to the world, new blog name! I see a bright future for you!

And now for our final stop, because I like to talk/write too much and can't write a post that stops here. This last stop is a brief snapshot, a snippet if you will, about the history of the last 48 hours to pick a new blog name. While puzzling over various names and frightening my roommates each time I shouted out a new suggestion, there was one in particular that I kept coming back to: Pork Chops and Applesauce. Yes, I know it seems INCREDIBLY random, particularly because this isn't a food blog, but I don't care. There are many reasons this name would be a good fit for me:


  • I'm totally ok with a random name since I write about a random assortment of things.
  • Pork chops and applesauce are pretty random in their own right. You wouldn't expect them to go so well together, and yet they do!
  • This was the only dinner that my mom knew how to cook when my parents first got married, so for a good stretch of time they were eating pork chops and applesauce a LOT. 
  • It has an awesome and funny connection with the Brady Bunch (that of course concludes with a wholesome life lesson)! Check it out...



So why didn't I use this magnificent name you may ask?

The dang domain name was taken!!!

I  was so sad, because I had really let this title grow on me. I decided that I would hunt down the blog-name-stealing bandit and type in the URL...hoping that I would at least find some interesting food blog that I could come back to later. But what I found shocked...nay, flabbergasted me. A page in all pink...a Yankees fan (sorry Yankees friends, you know I still love you)...a grand total of 3 posts...from 2004...with a title that didn't even match the domain name!! I was so upset. Crushed, that my fun and random blog name, tied with family memories and the Brady Bunch, was going to such a waste! It would be so loved here! But alas, it simply wasn't meant to be for this humble blog of mine.

I won't let it get me down and out, though. I've officially decided that I will one day write a book called "Pork Chops and Applesauce," and it's going to be awesome. It'll be the #1 best seller in the New York Times and will probably win a Pulitzer. So take that, miss blog name bandit.



No comments:

Post a Comment